Monday, August 27, 2012

Prizzi´s Ristorante Italiano and Bar

Prizzi’s Ristorante Italiano and Bar
3821 Riverside Dr
Burbank, CA 

Before moving to Burbank my wife and I were given a coupon for 25 dollars off our bill at Prizzi’s restaurant.  After a 6.5 mile hike under the Southern California beating summer sun we decided to use the coupon and see what this place was all about.

From the outside the restaurant looks like nothing special.  It’s situated on the bottom floor of a 3 or 4 floor concrete building.  If there weren’t a sign outside, I would have mistaken the building for a parking garage. Upon entry we were greeted by an affable host who promptly sat us at a booth along the back wall.  The wall was lined with paintings that would have found a more suitable home in a fourth grade art show rather than at a seemingly chic Italian restaurant.  Aside from the smells coming from the kitchen, nothing indicated Italian food was to be served, and the artist's rendition of Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road? was out of place to say the very least.  In a nutshell, the restaurant is decorated in a modern and minimalist manner, which is pretty much the exact opposite of anything in Italy.

The waiter took our order, applauded our final selections, and left our table. 

Having spent several months in Italy, and having traveled throughout the country fairly extensively, I know that bread is given away as if it had the plague.  Restaurants in Italy can’t give you enough bread.  After you have eaten, already unfastened the belt, unbuttoned the pants, and let the bottom of your belly bulge forth like a swollen demon, the waiters come to you and ask, ‘’Have you had enough?  Can I bring you anything else?’’.  Even if you answer, ‘’No.’’, and are in obvious discomfort from the gluttonous consumption that just took place they will reply with, “Ok, but let me get you some more bread’’.  The lack of a complimentary bread basket at Prizzi’s set the tone for our meal.  

The Involtini di Melanzane we ordered as an appetizer came first.  They were two nice eggplant wraps stuffed with tomato, mozzarella cheese and basil with balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.  I ate mine in probably two bites, and then played the waiting game again.  Albeit delicious, I feel like for the 9 dollars they could have given us a third.  As we were waiting for the entrées I noticed that everything was slippery.  The chairs, the tables, the plates, everything slid with ease like all the surfaces in the restaurant were buttered.  I slid with on my chair around my designated dining area effortlessly, and pushed my plate and cutlery around the table like hockey pucks on an ice-rink. Table cloths or place mats would have been a nice touch.

Our entrées came and they looked delicious.  The daily special I ordered was three grilled prawns split down the middle and glistening with melted parmesan cheese, on top of the penne accentuated with a scrumptiously creamy wine-pesto sauce.  My wife’s salmon was both tender and exquisitely marinated, but her side of spaghetti was depressing as it wallowed in its watery excuse for marinara sauce that would have been put to shame by a jar of Ragu: Old World Style.  I sincerely hope they don’t use the same sauce for their pizza.  The portions were acceptable, but someone with a big appetite (myself) will be disappointed.  My wife told me, “Eat slowly. You don’t want to have to make a sandwich when we get home’’.  Aside from the spaghetti our food was great, but as we finished we were still scanning the restaurant looking at what other people were eating and daring each other to ask an adjacent table for a slice of their pizza.

Our gastronomic outing was, in the end, a delectable yet overpriced appetizer. I was rooting around in the fridge within a half an hour of getting home, and ultimately made myself that sandwich that my wife had warned me about.  Service-wise we received nothing more or less than average.  Our waiter offered to give us his opinions on the dishes as we ordered which I’m guessing made him feel as though he were the be-all-end-all in culinary sentiments.  The combination of overpriced entrees and meager serving sizes was mildly disappointing.  The only reason that this restaurant would merit a repeat would be to try the deep dish pizza that looked appetizing even after having finished the main course

No comments:

Post a Comment